- This event has passed.
Mustering up the value of herd improvement
May 10 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pmNo Charge
Dairy farmers and anyone interested in the link between herd improvement and profit, are invited to attend The National Muster, field day at the Jelbart farm, Leongatha South on 10 May.
• Hear how the next generation of the Jelbart family is approaching their dairy business
• Learn how astute genetic selection is now less complex.
• Get the facts behind the claim that there are real profit gains to be made from using breeding indices and genomics.
• See the figures on the value of genomic testing heifers.
About Improving Herds
ImProving Herds is a dairy industry project to to demonstrate the value of herd improvement to dairy business profit. The Gardiner Dairy Foundation is investing $1.5 million in this 3-year project which concludes in mid-2018. It is a collaborative effort, involving Dairy Australia, the Victorian Government, DataGene, Holstein Australia and the National Herd Improvement Association of Australia (NHIA).
The project involves four main modules of work:
• Demonstrating the value of herd testing
• Demonstrating the value of genetics
• Demonstrating the value of genomic testing of heifers
• Determining the impact of genetic selection on the dairy industry’s environmental footprint.